Monday, September 22, 2008

Last Night

Let me first ease all your worries and give this fact... the house isn't ours, nor is the one we are renting.

Last night as Chris and I were getting ready for bed, he smelled smoke. After reading about my sisters adventures of a flood, this both caused to panic a bit. Although I've had a candle lit recently, I was sure I hadn't lit one. After checking everywhere possible inside to make sure things were OK, Chris got dressed to check the outside. When he opened the door, there was smoke so thick that we though for sure the church less than a block away was on fire. Anxious to make sure everything was OK, we hopped in the truck. The church was fine, but it didn't take us long to find the cause of the smoke. This is what we found...







Having never been that close to a house fire, I was intrigued to watch the firemen at work. I felt a bit guilty watching it, knowing that someone else was having a really, really bad night, but there wasn't anything I could do, and I made sure to stay far out of the way of the firemen working. However, from a far distance, using a good lens we were able to get some good pictures. Not having thought to bring the tripod it took several tries. We watched them battle it for likely an hour, and even when we left it still wasn't out. From talking to others it likely had been burning already for an hour or so when we arrived. It was just a shift of winds that had tunneled the smoke right to our house.

Really makes me want to find where the fire extinguisher we had went to, I know we have one, but since I don't know where it's at, it's worthless.

2 comments:

  1. Scary! I am glad that it wasn't your place. Flooding is terrible, but I imagine that fire is much much worse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you--it's sad to know that someone else was having a bad night, but it's fascinating to watch. What type of camera do you guys have? It takes lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete