Sunday, May 20, 2007

A Recent Milestone

This past week I recently hit a huge milestone. Ever since I was a young teen, I've been writing in my journal each and every night. It started out simple with often only a couple sentences, and each night I would write I would number the day. If I missed a day, which I think I might have once, I started back over at 1.
This week I hit day 5555. That's over 15 years of writing every night.
One of my favorite changes to my journal writing was when I quit handwriting everything and starting writing instead on the computer. Being able to type has allowed me so much more freedom as I can keep up with my thoughts so much better than I ever could writing by hand. Plus, since my handwriting isn't always the best, it's also much easier to read.
On occasion when I have time, it is fun to go back and read. I've found that there is often so much that I would have otherwise forgotten.
Another benefit is that although I often still go to bed with much on my mind, sometimes being able to write down my worries helps me set them aside for the night so I can fall asleep more easily.
Well, my eyelids are getting heavy, so I better quit writing here so I can write in my journal for tonight and then head to bed.
If you've ever thought about writing in a journal/diary I would highly suggest this as a way to start. Once you get started, it's hard to stop.

2 comments:

  1. Holy smokes that's amazing. Congratulations to you! I kept a journal everyday for almost three years and then I just sort of stopped, it's sad but true. I need to start again, and I guess this blog is hopefully a gateway to start that again. Keep on going and let us know when you hit 10000!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grats, Baby! And thanks for getting me in on the gig, I am at 610. Yeah, its not 5000, but to me, that is simply amazing.

    You are my hero and my biggest role model, love you!

    ReplyDelete