Saturday, June 9, 2007

Viva Las Vegas

My how time flies... I can't believe that the Las Vegas trip that I mentioned in a previous post is already a week in the past and I'm just barely getting around to posting about it.
The show we went to see Stomp Out Loud was awesome, and the front row seats, simply amazing. We were so close that we often were dodging broomsticks and splinters from the brooms when they broke them. Although I remember a bit of the last time I went to see them, almost 10 years ago, there was several things that I believe that they had added to the performance. Besides the obvious parts with brooms, there were several parts I really enjoyed. My favorite three I believe were:
  • Large boxes filled with packaging peanuts (or something else that made noise)
  • flexible rubbers tubes of different lengths banged against the ground
  • Zippo and Bic cigarette lighters (they sat on the stage 3-4 feet in front of us with the lights turned off)
The show was at the Planet Hollywood (Formerly the Alladin)


One thing that was amazing was to see how much of the Las Vegas strip was under construction. New hotels were going up all over the place...


...and rumor has it that several "classics" such as Circus, Circus and Excalibur are in the plans for demolition.
Another strange, but welcome change is that Las Vegas/Nevada has just recently put into effect an Indoor Clean Air Act which prohibits smoking in public places. Because the law had just recently gone into effect and they were trying to figure out how to enforce it, there was still a little bit of smoking here and there, but nothing like I remember. Hopefully the change will stick, because I certainly enjoyed it.
Last, but not least, another highlight of our trip...

It may sound silly, but one thing we have really missed since moving here several years ago was the absence of 7-11's and Slurpee's. Granted we didn't get them all that often when we were in Salt Lake, but the hot summer weather makes you crave them. Sure you can find Icee's around town here and there, but nothing compares the variety of flavors you can find at a 7-11. As we drove into Vegas, we were astonished at the number of 7-11's that we saw. It seemed like there was nearly one every other block.
Anyways, it was a fantastic getaway, and we had a marvelous time. If you ever get the chance to see Stomp Out Loud, I would highly recommend it. And... if you ever get a chance to have a slurpee, have one and think of me. :)

2 comments:

  1. Sluuurrrrpeees... hehe

    How bizarre that neither of us has a slurpee place nearby. We miss them, too!

    I'm glad you guys had a good time in Las Vegas. I think I'm allergic to the place.. but maybe the indoor clean air act will solve a lot of it. :)

    ReplyDelete