Like many others, the current state of the economy has me a bit concerned. Even though the economy has been bad all year, it hasn't really affected my work until just the past few weeks. We haven't been busy as we normally are this time of year, but that often happens depending on when they mail out catalogs, so I haven't been all that concerned. It has affected my work in some ways, but unlike some companies who are really struggling, we are doing OK. One way it has affected my work is that for the first time in managing a store, I haven't had to hang a sign in my window this year saying that we are accepting applications. We've received a ton of applications and had the opportunity to pick only the very best of the best. I really think my work will continue to do well and I have no need to fear for my job.
My husband's work however has really been struggling. They have already done a couple rounds of layoffs, and there is another batch of cutbacks coming before Christmas. We always thought that the newspaper industry would be a stable one to be in, there is always news right? However because of the internet, newspapers are really having to come up with innovative ways to stay in business. I really feel like he'll make it through this round of layoff's, but it's frightening to live in the fear that there most likely will be another round.
The economy really is an interesting thing... I must say I never thought I would see gas for $2.49 a gallon (the current price driving home today) and think that it's cheap. Since I don't fill up all that often, the price of gas hasn't been as devastating to our finances as most everyone else, but I'm grateful to have it come back to a reasonable level.
Anyways, it will be interesting to see what the future brings.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



Impending layoffs are scary. I hope that all goes well, and keep up the good spirit.
ReplyDelete$2.49 for gas? I saw it tonight for $1.99. Now that's cheap.
ReplyDeleteGood luck with everything at Chris' job.
Yeah, when Chris and I went to California a month or so ago, gas was substantially cheaper in California than it was in St. George. It was kind of depressing because I always remember as a kid that it was a lot more expensive in CA. Oh well, I can't complain to much...I only fill up every two months or so.
ReplyDeleteIt is scary to think about what we may lose in our life and what may be coming. I'm very glad that you have Chris and I have John. And that I have you for a friend. ♥
ReplyDeleteEverything else is just a temporary blip in the weather.