Friday, August 17, 2007

A few months late, but I finally got 8!

After putting much thought into it, I finally came up with 8 things about me. Considering the people that read my blogs are my family, my husband and my best of friends coming up with 8 things that they might not know about me was hard. If I were writing 8 things my employee's didn't know about me, that would be easy and I wouldn't have to delve to much into my crazy quirks, but when the people who read it are the people who know you best anyways it was much more of a challenge.
Anyways, here goes...

1. I love to get the mail. More often than not, all I get in the mail is junk mail and bills but it is still one of the highlights of my day. I often request free samples online, so those are always fun to get too. I usually stop at the mailbox on my way home from work but the other day I couldn’t find our mail key. I looked and looked but it wasn’t in any of the usual spots. My husband kept asking me what was wrong, and I confessed that I really wanted to get the mail but just didn’t know where the key was. I found it hiding a little bit later and checked the mail and the rest of the day went by much better. To make me even crazier, I recently ordered a new pair of glasses and am expecting them in the mail day. My prescription has changed a lot in the years since I got my last glasses that nearly every day I have a headache. I’m so excited for those to come that it was keeping me from running any errands after work. After a few days of this I decided to have my husband get the mail, and then just send me a text message letting me know if they have come or not.

2. I really like the way I look with glasses; I think they make me look smart. As I mentioned I went to the eye doctor recently to get a new prescription. Because my vision is so bad and I can’t see anything without my glasses I’ve often toyed with the idea of getting Lasik, since getting glasses is always so expensive. My prescription is so strong that they always strongly suggest I get the thinner lenses so my glasses aren’t coke bottles falling off my face. I found out that I would be a good candidate for Lasik, but not for a couple years once my prescription quits changing. To be able to see clearly without glasses would be wonderful, but I think I would miss them too much.

3. I don’t know what my favorite color is. When I was young, I always liked blue, but my sister told me I couldn’t because it was her favorite color. I think I picked the color purple because it was close to blue, and I probably did like it for a while but in all honestly, I really can’t stand the color purple anymore. When I had to fill out a questionnaire the other day and it asked for my favorite color, I drew a blank. I really don’t know. I have narrowed it down to Yellow, Blue or Red. Maybe some day I’ll figure it out.

4. I love the smell of fresh ball point pen ink. I think it started when I was in school and found a candy cane shaped pen that when you wrote with it smelled like peppermint. I would sit and write stuff, just so I could smell it. The habit continued on to regular ballpoint pens. I however hate my handwriting and so rarely write with a pen, but one Christmas a year or two ago I was able to find holiday-scented pens again. They continue to be one of the little things that bring me joy in life.

5. My husband and I went at least 4 ½ years before spending a night apart. The first night we spent apart was when my job flew me to Salt Lake for a manager’s meetings. These meetings have required that we spend a night or two apart each spring and fall. Luckily my boss was sensitive to the fact that I don’t like to spend time apart and always books me a late night flight instead of a hotel and early morning flight on the last day of the manager meeting so that I can get back home. These semi-annual meetings and one night last July when my husband had a clinical sleep study done are the only nights we’ve spent apart.

6. I’m extremely self-conscious about driving, I don’t know why. I think I’m a good driver, although I still carry along some of the habits I developed driving a car that didn’t have much power (such as waiting to turn until there is a huge space when I could easily have made the turn other times). I’ve never had a ticket of any kind and have never been the driver in an accident (a passenger once in a multiple car minor fender bender in high school). I don’t often have passengers in my car, but when I do, I for some reason feel like they are watching my every move waiting for me to do anything to criticize my driving skills.

7. I’ve put on less than 3,500 miles in the past three years, counting a approx 1000 mile trip to Salt Lake. Being so close to work and all of the places I go shopping has been such a blessing since when we lived in Salt Lake we easily put over 1200-1500 miles every month. Driving so little I only fill up my car about every 3 months.

8. I would love one day to learn how to do stained glass. I’ve known several people over the years that know how to do it and have always wanted to learn. I wish I’d taken the time to one of them to teach me. I've also wanted to learn how to tat (make lace). My 9th grade seminary teacher tatted and when I would sometimes show up to class early after lunch he would be tatting and I always was fascinated by it.

2 comments:

  1. You can have blue as your favorite color, I'm sorry I wouldn't let you when you were little. :)
    Don't wait to learn to do stained class or tatting. Find somebody to teach you and learn now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful entry. It makes me miss you something fierce, but this was lovely to read! I have fond memories of us sending away for catalogs so we could get mail (and we found the extra junk mail that would arrive for us a bonus!).

    I'm also glad to know you're done with purple. I think for a while purple was my favorite color, too.. partly because it was yours at the time, and partly because Sarah Fuller told me that I "seemed to like it" and gave me a purple scrunchie for my birthday in 5th grade. Weird

    I'll work on one of these for my journal as well. <3

    ReplyDelete