Thursday, October 25, 2007

Sunflower Cake

One of my favorite hobbies is baking and one thing I've found myself collecting are the shaped pans from Nordic Ware. I have a few different pans (rose bundt, castle bundt, star bundt, snowflake cake) but I think the sunflower one is probably one of my favorites
With the decorating help of my husband I recently made this cake to take to work...
I used a pineapple cake mix and added a can of crushed pineapple to the mix. The cake was so most and tasty. The center is made of toasted coconut and I frosted it with lemon flavored frosting to finish off the tropical taste.
I love all of my different pans, they make it easy to make a cake that looks pretty and presentable. Although I had a great time taking a cake decorating class with my sister when I was younger, I still have a hard time making a pretty traditional two layer cake. I could if I had the time, but it takes a lot of time and patience.
I think one of these days I'll have to add the poinsettia pan to my collection. Baking during the holidays is something I enjoy to help reduce the stress of the crazy busy at work. Although, my husband would probably like it if I got the stadium one. That one would be fun too, especially for a super bowl party.

2 comments:

  1. I love helping you decorate them. Too bad you had to use coconut.

    :D

    The stadium would be sweet if you filled it full of Cream Cheese, dumped salsa in the middle and dumped "Bugles" around to munch on.. now thats a Super Bowl Party set up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cuuuute! I bet they went wild for it at work! It would be cute if you used your castle pan at Christmas with a gingerbread cake, and then decorated it with candy and white icing. :)

    ReplyDelete