For the first time in a long time, I visited the dentist today. As usual, I had my wonderful husband test him out before to make sure he wasn't an evil mean dentist, like the one I think every child must have as a dentist.
As with most visits to the dentist, I was nervous and not very excited about going, especially since it's been 3-4 years since I last went. I remember as a child thinking that my teeth were in really good shape only to find that I had several cavities that needed to be filled. Today I thought they would find at least a couple, especially because every once and a while I have a horrible toothache back by one of my molars.
So taking off from work today for a moment, I sat down in the chair and got the wonderful x-rays. As I was biting down on those wonderfully awkward things I wondered what each would reveal. After the assistant left I sat in the chair waiting for them to process. I must say I was surprised at how relaxed I was, I almost fell asleep. This time of year is so busy that I guess just sitting for a moment with nothing to do can be relaxing, no matter where you are.
After nearly falling asleep, the dentist came in, did a bit of poking and then gave me the news. I was nearly in shock when he said, "Your teeth look really good, and you have no cavities." Surely he must have been kidding. The words I always hoped to hear as a child, but always seemed to evade me. This really can't be possible. But nope, he wasn't kidding. He said the only thing I needed was a cleaning and then probably a checkup in six months. The occasional pain is probably just a crack in a filling. I scheduled the next appointment and then went back to work. Looking at my watch I was surprised that in all, I was only there for a half an hour.
Even tonight as I think about it, I'm still in shock. No cavities? For someone who loves candy and sweets, isn't very good at always brushing my teeth at night, isn't a consistent flosser and hasn't been to the dentist in a long time it must be a miracle.
What a very pleasant surprise! One that puts a smile on my cavity free face. :)
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



What a great blessing, indeed. I hate the dentist as much as the next person, but I always know I will be better off afterwards.
ReplyDeleteI think the end of the world would hit the day they told me I have no cavities... hahaha.
Congrats on no cavities. I need to go to the dentist, it's been a while. I don't think I'll be as lucky as you though.
ReplyDelete