I've never been the type to enjoy exercise. I have never enjoyed running, in fact I hate it. I tell others that the only time you would catch me running, was if someone was chasing me, it's the truth. Walking and weight lifting aren't too bad, and I actually do quite a bit at work. Books are surprisingly heavy, just ask the UPS guy.
Needless to say, I really could benefit from a little bit of exercise.
Last year for my birthday my husband got me a Wii. My favorite activity of all of the sports was boxing, I love it! It wasn't until a few boxing games in that I realized there were rounds. I would just knock the computer opponent down so hard with the first few hits, that they wouldn't get back up. I've since advanced, and am working to achieve "pro" status, but it's a challenge. I still can hit, but I really need to get better at dodging.
Anyways, for my birthday this year we got the new Wii Fit. I've been playing with the idea of learning Yoga for quite some time, and that is one of the features of the new Wii Fit. I broke the Wii Fit out of the box for the first time today, and I had a lot of fun. First thing it has you do is take a fitness test. It asks you for your height, and birthdate. Then it checks your balance, weighs you, and calculates your BMI. After this it asks you to set a goal. Not really knowing where I stood, it was nice to find out this information. After the fitness test you can then move onto several different areas. If desired you can track your progress with other Mii's, so this would be great for families.
I tried Yoga first. It is a lot harder than I expected, but I'm excited to start practicing and learning more. I've learned that I have a fairly good sense of balance standing on two feet, but the "tree pose" with one food resting near your other knee was not my forte. I guess I don't make a very good flamingo.
There's also several other areas such as Strength Training, Aerobics, and Balance Training Games. As you spend time in each area you earn minutes that are kept in a bank, they add up and the more you earn, the more it unlocks additional areas.
I played around with the Strength Training and Aerobics a little bit, but outside of Yoga spent most of my time in the Balance Training Games. They so far have been good, but also more challenging than you would expect. So far my favorite is Ski Jumping.
Anyways, leave it to Nintendo and the gaming industry to finally come up with a way to make fitness fun. I never would sign up for the gym, but I'm excited to be finally be learning yoga.
So, if you are like me and struggle to exercise, perhaps you should think about the Wii Fit. :) That is if you can find one.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



That Wii Fit thing sounds pretty cool.
ReplyDeleteLast night, after I read your blog, I was thinking about exercising. I think that most people, at lease most people I know, don't enjoy exercising while they are exercising. I don't. Sometimes after I exercise I feel better, but sometimes I feel worse. I think the biggest thing about exercising is that it's a sense of accomplishment because it's good for your body.
Chad hates running, but wanted to get in shape and lose weight. He would have said that same thing as you, that the only time he would run would be to get away from somebody. He was inspired by that show, "The Biggest Loser." Now four months and thirty pounds later, he still hates running, but he is pleased with the results. He didn't just lose weight, but he is in soooo much better shape.
Yoga is a lot harder that it looks. You'll have to update me on how it's going. I love it, but not while I'm doing it. I just love how relaxed I feel after doing it. I don't think I even feel that relaxed when I'm sleeping.
I think that only exercise I like to do while I'm doing it, is rollerblading. Probably because I don't push myself too hard. But even though I'm not trying too hard, I'm still getting some good exercise. I think.
Sorry for all the typos in my commment. I'm typing with one hand and trying to keep Jack from pounding on the keys.
ReplyDelete