Little did I know that 12 ago yesterday, my life would change. On June 5th, 1996 I lost a great and dear friend. His name was David, and anyone reading my blog that knew him, will agree that he was an amazing person. He had such a great love for life and was always fun to be around. He was like a brother to me, and yet so much more.
Yesterday, as I do many days, I thought of him and what he might be doing if he were alive today. I imagine that he would have served a successful mission, and would most likely be married and a great father to his children.
Losing him at such a crossroads in my life (about 2-3 weeks after my 16th birthday) taught me a lot about growing up. Among other things, it taught me to never take like for granted. It also made me appreciative of my belief that we will one day meet again.
I also learned a profound lesson of which I'm very grateful, but yet hopeful one I won't have to remember regularly... everyone grieves differently. Just about a year and a half ago I was reminded of this lesson. I felt hopeless in a situation where I felt there was little I could to console a family struggling to come to terms with the sudden and unexpected loss of their eldest brother/son and "family guardian". It was a difficult and trying time, but one in which I felt surprisingly grateful for my experiences at 16. I knew exactly what some of them may have felt and I hope that in a dark moment, I was able to provide even the brightest glimmer of hope and love.
Today, I happened across something that I had typed up just about a year after his passing. There were a few things I wanted to share...
"I have so many memories of David that there is no way I can record them all to share... my most memories of David come from Easter vacation. The last Easter vacation we spent together was special, but so were all of them... Down in Zion's I had the chance to walk with David on one of the hikes we took, a rare occasion because I was usually one of the last and he was usually one of the first. Somehow I caught up with him on the Emerald lakes trail and we talked on the way back down. One of my most favorite memories from that Easter is the canyon hike right below the tunnel. Just like now, I wanted David to help me, but he can't and so I have to make it on my own, and yes, it has been a great shock to fall into a cold puddle of water... One of the memories that I have remembered is the year that we did not got down into the goblins. Instead we held a testimony meeting where Robin bore his testimony and told us how David had almost died from an electrical shock, and how scared he was of losing David...."
I think of David frequently, not just yearly on the day of his passing. In all my reflection this past twelve years, I've realized that David wasn't perfect, but he wasn't afraid to be himself. Something which may sound simple, but is in fact quite challenging. Even though he is no longer here in body, I carry a piece of him with me always. Always remember to be yourself and take time to enjoy life. Thank-you David for changing my life. I wish you were here, but you will never be forgotten...
Friday, June 6, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



I thought I was done crying about Dave for this anniversary, but then I read your blog. I know you didn't invite me in to look at your blog, but you know me. I love everything I can get my hands on that involves David. One of the things that I feel the worst about Dave's death is that so many others had to go through it too. You were only sixteen and it seems that nobody your age should have to face death and the powerful array of emotions that come with it. I see a good side , though, and that is the growth and testimony that can come from an experience like that. I have seen it in my life and from your comments I can see it in yours as well. I think we have all learned to value the time we have with our families, the bonds that we feel, and the importance of always remembering to tell them you love them, because tomorrow may be tto late. Thank you for your love of Dave and for the things you have written. We love you.
ReplyDelete